How I Obtained my Connecticut Speech-Language Pathology License

  • Some of the links in this article are "affiliate links", a link with a special tracking code. This means if you click on an affiliate link and purchase the item, we will receive a commission.

In December of 2014, I applied for a Connecticut Speech-Language Pathology license from the State Board of Examiners. My home was in the Boston area, and I wanted to open up travel SLP job opportunities that were fairly close to home. When I applied for the CT license, I already earned my CCCs, and was licensed in Massachusetts and Texas.

In my career, I applied for six speech-language pathology state licenses. Connecticut was one of the more complicated ones to get. To be honest, CT did not cut me any breaks for already having my CCCs and licenses in other states. I still had to submit a form with my CF supervisor’s signature and send verification of my transcript.

The Connecticut Speech-Language Pathology License Requirements

The Connecticut speech-language pathology license requirements are more or less the same as the ASHA Certification of Clinical Competence (CCC )requirements.

  • Completion of a Supervised Professional Experience period in speech and language pathology in CT or a supervised experienced in another state.
  • Hold a master’s or doctorate degree in speech and language pathology and was licensed, certified or held an ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence.
  • Passing score on the PRAXIS
  • The written examination (PRAXIS) requirement may be waived if the applicant holds a current ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competency in speech and language pathology.  All other education and experience requirements must be met for licensure.

Documentation Requirements

  • A master’s or doctorate transcript verifying a master’s or doctorate degree in speech and language pathology;
  • Verification of completion of the Supervised Professional Experience.  Since I completed mine outside of CT, I used the form in this link for verification. I had to track down my CF supervisor to sign it.
  • If substituting work experience in lieu of the required SPE, verification of at least 9 months of full-time work experience, or 18 months of part-time work experience. 
  • If applicable, verification of successful completion of  NTE sent directly from Educational Testing Service (ETS);
  • Verification of Certificate in Clinical Competency sent directly to this office from ASHA.
  • If applicable, verification of all licenses held, current or expired, sent directly to this office from each state. 
  • A completed application with a photograph attached.  
  • Application fee of $200.

Why Did I Need To Get My CF Supervisor To Sign A Form?

One of the more challenging parts of the CT application was that I needed my CF supervisor to sign a form saying I completed 9-months of supervised clinical training. You might be wondering why I had to do that when I could also substitute work experience and have a more recent coworker sign a form. 

Well, I had been a traveling speech-language pathologist since I earned my CCCs. Therefore, I had not worked at another place long enough for another licensed SLP to sign off on my work experience. My CF supervisor was the only SLP who worked with me for 9 months or longer. 

Luckily, I was connected to my CF supervisor on social media at the time and was able to get his address and send him the paperwork to complete. He then sent it back to me so I could send it in with the application. 

Did I Ever Work as a Speech-Language Pathologist in CT?

If you follow this blog, you probably never heard me write or talk about Connecticut other than this blog. 

So did I ever end up working thereafter I got the license?

Yes, actually I did!

I did one assignment in CT and it was one of my absolute favorite jobs! The assignment was in an inpatient rehab center in downtown Hartford. The facility was extremely patient-centered and had an outstanding team. I was able to extend the assignment and spent six months there! I worked primarily with neuro patients; either on our dedicated brain injury unit or with recent CVAs.

At this job, I worked in a department of multiple speech pathologists with varying levels of experience. Being in a department with multiple SLPs was a great learning experience because I got to bounce a lot of ideas off of others.

Why I Let My CT License Lapse

I got my CT license in 2014. As you read above, it was quite a hassle. As part of the application process, I had to have my CF supervisor sign a form and get verification of transcripts from my grad school. 

I let the license lapse after two renewal cycles because I just never used it. 

After I completed the one assignment that I did in CT, I moved to California. After moving to CA for work, I did not have any ambition to work on the east coast again. Because, the east coast, CT especially, does not have a lot of opportunities for travel SLP work. The jobs that do appear do not pay that well and are few and far between. The cost of maintaining the license did not have a positive return on investment for me as a traveling SLP. I continue to work in California and Hawaii now. 

2 thoughts on “How I Obtained my Connecticut Speech-Language Pathology License”

  1. Thanks for sharing! This was super helpful. Do you happen to remember how long it took to get your CT license after applying?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to Top